Wednesday, November 24, 2010

VOLCANIC ASH HAPPENS


A.K.A. SHIT HAPPENS! So I went on this mission to do some networking at the London Book Fair 2010. My suitcases were all packed, including published copies of my book, Wee Monk's Tale, The Secret of Immortality; my screenplay, visitor's cards and whatever! My hubby, anton joined me and so did our two daughters, Michelle and Chantal. We planned a week in Wales and a week in Norway before the BIG BOOKSHOW! I was going to hit London with a BANG! And I wasn't going to leave without a publisher or literary agent. No, way!
But, with a BANG the volcanic ash hit us while in Bergen, Norway and we had no way of getting to London. We were stuck in Oslo for another week. It was one of the biggest disappointments of my life. What now? What now. Shortly after, back in South Africa with all my books and stuff still in the suitcases, we had the opening night of my best musical, ever, A New Day has Come, a Passion Play (with the music of Celine Dion). And some Christians decided, no, Christ can't be crusified accompanied with the music of Celine Dion! So they staged a nice little boikot and what should have been a smash hit (as far as hits go in a town in South Africa) turned out to be just another show, maybe 800 people came to watch. We thought there would be at least 1500. But the play changed lives and empowered people nevertheless. Poor buggers who decided to stay away, missed the show of their lives!
I'm struggling to get over the feeling of failure and disappointment in events that I can't control. So, what to do. what to do? Write. since then I have finished two screenplays: King's Men, about an ex-convict who tries to convert his yuppie friends who abuse their wifes/families in different ways; and Heartsong, a Greek Love Story (Musical) about an arrogant singer who needs to learn about life and love after fleeing for his life and hiding out on a Greek island. I'm also working on another Community play: about the life of the big Sampson in the Bible (it will be a comedy, I suppose, but with a valuable life lesson!) So, this is me. 2010 was a TERRIBLY exciting year.

No comments:

Post a Comment